Saturday 12 July 2008

Revenge of the Little Mermaid!

My friend's birthday was coming up and I wanted to make her something special, something that captured her love for the Little Mermaid but was also functional and fun. What could be better than an apron? This is the first apron I have attempted, and I don't believe I've ever swore so much in my life. I thought it would be semi-easy but it turned out to be more difficult for a sewing newbie like me - seriously, it's a big piece of fabric with 3 strips, how hard could it be?

Luckily, I had my mom to help me out with making the bias tape and reading the pattern. I bought a Little Mermaid pillow case, cut out Ariel, Sebastian, and Flounder, then turned them into iron-on decals using transfer paper bought at Craft Warehouse. It was my first time using the iron-on transfer paper and accidentally put it upside down on the ironing board, so now my ironing board is covered in a shiny sheer coating that has been almost impossible to wash off, whoops! I also had a little meltdown making the pocket and time was running short before her birthday party, so I cheated and bought some Stitch Witchery to help me finish, which I will keep on hand now every time I do some sort of craft sewing. I've heard some people call that cheating but I call it a tiny miracle worker!

The little embellishments that I added at the end were to sew a little red heart button on the top left hand seam where the top strap and apron meet, and also make a ruffle with my leftover pink bias tape and attached that across the top of the apron.

The pattern I used was a Simplicity "Sew Easy" design. I think the next one I do will take me half as long because I now know what to expect. Happy Birthday, Alex!

No comments: